Monday, September 7, 2009

The First of Many...

Ok, this is my first ever blog.  I'm just going to go right into it.


So the preseason just finished and I'm pretty confident for this season however there are a few question marks.  Last season as many of you know was a huge disapointment for the Cowboys and their fans.  I mean going from regarded as one of the best if not the best team in the NFL to going 9-7, getting just destroyed 44-6 by the Eagles, and not making the playoffs (just one more year to the playoff win drought).  But lucklily the new season is coming soon.


Now back to the current situation.  I'm overall happy with the decisions the team made with the 53 man roster.  I'm certainly glad that Kevin Ogletree made the team.  He just made too many good plays during the preseason to let him go.  I'm also happy the Isaiah Stanback experiment is over.  Stanback has good physical ability, but just did not get it done with the Cowboys.  I wish him good luck with his career (picked up by New England).  These guys' position is probably the biggest question mark on the team.  The receivers on the team are good but not great.  Roy Williams will need to produce for this team to do well during the season and the playoffs.  He underperformed last season after being aquired from Detroit.  Hopefully that was just a chemistry issue with Tony Romo and that he will be better this year after the two have had a full off-season together.  Patrick Crayton also had a worse year than the season before.  I believe he can step up his game this year and will be a good part of the offense.  Miles Austin however, I don't know.  This year he is supposed to be that deep threat at the Wide Receiver position but I don't know if he can do it.  He really didn't show up in the preseason until that third game against the 49'rs.  Hopefully he can get his game straight and contribute.  Of course Sam Hurd and Kevin Ogletree are also pretty good and are solid backups who both have great potential.


Another hole in the roster is the secondary.  I don't really agree with the coaches cutting Mike Mickens and Deangelo Smith.  I think they should have kept at least one.  I'm happy that the Cowboys picked up the hard hitting safety Marvin White, he should help with the lack of depth that came when Alan Ball and Michael Hamlin got hurt hopefully Ball will be able to make the opener while Hamlin will miss 2-4 weeks.  Other than depth in the secondary, I think we have a good starting team at defensive back with safeties Ken Hamlin and Gerald Sensabaugh and Cornerbacks Terence Newman, Mike Jenkins, and Orlando Scandrick.


Well that's all for now, next time I'll be reviewing the Cowboys-Bucs game.  It might be the Saturday the week after because I'll be out of town and won't be able to watch the game until Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment